All Children's Hospital, Kohl's Cooks for Kids, and Lealman Fire District are stirring up some fun and challenging families to come out and show-off their culinary skills at this free and tasty event. Families who don't want to compete are encouraged to come and sample the tasty entries! Families can also enjoy other great activities during the day including crafts, an interactive animal experience with Great Explorations Children's Museum, free food, fire truck demos, and a bounce house.
Mom & Me Cook-off Guidelines:
- Children ages 7 to 12 are eligible to participate in this event.
- This is a mom and child effort! If mom is not free ask grandma, a favorite aunt, best friend or big sister. Please note: an adult must participate with each child.
- Recipes must be submitted and approved prior the event. Space is limited, up to 12 families. We will be accepting 6 hot recipes and 6 cold recipes, subject to change based on entries recieved. If your recipe is selected for the cook-off event, you will be notified by May 13. Note: Hot recipe spaces are now full. If you would like to participate, please submit a cold recipe that does not require the use of a blender or other electrical appliance.
- Families are responsible for bringing the recipe ingredients. The Firehouse kitchen will have some of the staples on hand if needed (listed below). Our team of experts will approve all recipes and confirm participation with each team.
- To prepare the recipe, it must be adapted to be cooked using an electric skillet. There will be no stove tops or ovens available for this event. Pre-cooking some of the ingredents prior to coming to the event is acceptable, but the recipe must be made on site to qualify for prizes.
- Prizes will be awarded to the top recipes. In addition, each team will receive a goodie bag as a thank you for their participation.
Healthy Recipe Guidelines:
- Be creative! Prepare a tasty recipe you would most like to share with your friends and family.
- Recipes should be low in fat and high in taste. Our judges will be looking for taste, creativity and nutrition.
- How can we help you? Our nutrition and culinary experts are available to review all recipes and make suggestions if needed. Please send your questions to email@example.com
- Submitted recipes need to be original from your kitchen, or modified from a cookbook. If you plan to modify your favorite recipe from a cookbook, you must make at least 3 changes. Changes should modify the recipe to include healthy ingredients. Also, please site the source of your modified recipe (for example, Betty Crocker Cookbook)
- Everyone who participates will receive a Kohl's Cooks for Kids goodie bag.
- Kids Choice Award will receive a $75 gift card to Toys 'R Us
- Top 2 grand-prize winners include: Heart Healthy Award ($100 Publix gift card) and Mom's Choice ($100 Kohl's gift card)
To select the Heart Healthy Award winner, our team of judges will be looking for the following in each recipe:
Kids Choice Award: In addition to our expert panel of judges, the young chefs who participate and the youth who attend this event will also be given an opportunity to vote for their favorite recipe.
Mom's Choice Award: All moms or other special adults who participate and moms who attend this event will be given an opportunity to vote for their favorite recipe.
The following ingredients and kitchen supplies will be available for all families to utilize. Our experts will confirm with each team what final ingredients will be on site and what each family is responsible for bringing to the cook-off event.
Salt and Pepper
Assortment of herbs and spices
Electric skillets and cooking utencils
Paper/plastic serving products (plates, utensils)